Which protection class and safety features are right for your workforce?
Choosing safety footwear that’s fit for purpose and that meets current safety standards is vital. However, the numerous classifications and optional features can be overwhelming and confusing. Here’s Gorilla Safety’s quick reference guide to make selecting suitable safety boots, safety shoes and safety trainers easy.
New safety footwear (since June 2013) must comply to EN ISO 20345. This will always be displayed on the product. All items should feature an impenetrable sole and uppers with toecap protection to a minimum of 200 joules force.
Selecting the right safety safety footwear is as easy as 1-2-3:
1: Select the Right Protection Class
- SB: Safety Basic, meaning basic requirements for safety footwear are met
- S1: Basic requirements plus antistatic and oil-resistance with closed and energy-absorbing seat region
- S2: As S1 plus waterproof exterior, water penetration prevention and energy absorption in heel
- S3: As S2 but with penetration-resistant and cleated sole
- S4: Basic requirements but also leak-proof, antistatic and with energy-absorbing seat region
- S5: As S4 with penetration-resistant and cleated sole
2: Choose Additional Safety Features
- A – Antistatic protection
- C – Conductive
- CI – Insulation against cold for 30 minutes at -20℃
- CR – Cut-resistant
- E – Energy-absorbing seat region
- EH – Electrical hazard non-conductive
- ESD – Electrostatic discharge meeting ESD CEI EN 61340-5-1 standards
- FE – Tested using molten metal splashes
- FO – Resistant to fuel oil
- HI – Heat insulation for 30 minutes at 150℃
- HRO – Heat-resistant outsole up to 300℃
- M – Metatarsal protection
- P – Midsole penetration resistance
- Wg – Tested using molten metal splinters
- WR – Whole footwear water-resistant
- WRU – Water-resistant upper
Slip Resistance Rating – Select from:
- SRA: Tested on ceramic surface with soap
- SRB: Tested on steel with glycerol
- SRC: Both of the above
3: Buy With Confidence from Gorilla Safety
To make your selection even easier, use Gorilla Safety’s online product filter , or speak to a member of our Customer Services team using our chat feature or through our contact page here.
Rest assured that you and your workforce are wearing safety footwear suitable for the intended purpose!
Download your copy of the Gorilla Safety 2019 Safety Footwear Guide.